Monday, January 2, 2012

Books, Books, Books!

You girls LOVE your books.  It makes me so happy!

It has been a wonderful evolution to watch as you have been looking at books over the past months.

You started by looking at them when we would hold them up to show you the pictures.

Then, you were able to hold the book yourself!

Then, you were able to turn the pages.

I wondered - many times - what were you thinking as you looked at the pictures.
For example, you never noticed if the book was upside down or not.
And since you don't know what those images of ... I wondered if you were just looking at it the elements and principles....line, color, shape, form.....
But, recently....over the last month or so, you've been realizing that there are names and ideas that go with those pictures.

The moment that I realized that was when you, Macy, pointed to a picture of a hat on the corner of a page of the book, "Mary had a Little Lamb".  You were saying the "ha" sound.  I didn't realize it at first...but when I did, oh boy.  I was amazed.  My little girls now could recognize images and NAME THEM.  "Hat!!!"  YES!!  That moment changed me.  I started craving more moments like that.   RAPID progress has been made and now you girls can point out all kinds of things...mostly animals....like:  ducks (kack kack), frogs (bibit, bibit), chickens (kuck kuck), doggies (cook-ees), kitty cats (myow), cow (boooo), pig (really fast sound that I can't figure out how to spell), moon (mommy).

And just this weekend, Macy, you started turning your book 'right side up'.  Two times, I saw you settle into your seat and then turn your book so that the pictures were upright.

Now, the new thing that you're doing is pointing to things - whether it be in books or on the wall - you point to things....and look back and forth...making a sound like "uhhh uhhh"   until I tell you what the name of it is....then you smile...so satisfied to know the words.   I love the way you look at me and wait for me to tell you what you want to know.  What a treasure!!

I love how both of you will sit in my lap at the same time and just stay there while we look at books!

No comments:

Post a Comment