Saturday, June 30, 2012

Mommy, "The Interpreter"



Lately, your Daddy has said several times that he is glad that I know what y'all are saying because lots of times, he doesn't.  I told him that it thrills me to be the one who knows what your sounds and attempts at words and phrases mean.  The look on your faces when I repeat back to you what you're trying to say is such a reward.  You either smile and nod, or you say it again with a "yes, that's what I meant" tone to your voice.


Elmo's Birthday Party [Book]You have a book about Elmo's Birthday Party that has provided lots of fun for you and for me......for one thing, Macy, you've started saying, "Happy to you", meaning "Happy Birthday to You"....you started saying that after we went to our little friend, Faith's, birthday party.  If I start singing the song, y'all will string sounds together, kind of singing with me, and that is a wonderful feeling.  Macy, you will say, "Happy TO you, Happy to YOU..." with the emphasis in different places and in such a light, sweet sound....I can't get enough!  There's a page in the book where Elmo gets a box with a sheep in it as a gift....the sheep is happy...has big eyes....and everybody around is happy.  But for some mysterious reason, I can't figure out why you both say, "Kye, Kye" (cry, cry) when you see the picture of the lamb...without fail.  And every time, I say, "No, the sheep is happy."  Molly, you will desperately search for this book in our big ol' pile of books...and then bring it to me and say, "Happy".

So, in honor of the 108 degree heat, and your fascination with "Happy Birthday", I bought y'all some fun looking ice cream last night.  It was cotton candy flavor with sprinkles on top (this is a big, big treat - y'all rarely get stuff like this). Macy, when you saw it, you said, "Happy Cake".....which I think meant 'birthday cake'.  And, for probably several reasons, you both kept saying, "happy" as you were eating it.



So far, our summer has been filled with lazy days, visits to friends and family....watching episodes of "Yo Gabba Gabba", Mommy rotating toys in and out trying to keep things fresh, playing at the water table in the back yard, going to the Children's Garden Park, and now recently, staying inside - with the blinds closed trying to keep our house cool in the record breaking temperatures.




No comments:

Post a Comment