Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Tip Me Over and Pour Me Out!

This week, the girls went to see Dr. DuBose for their 4 month visit.  It was eventful!

Weighing came first and my little butterballs are lighter than I had thought!  I really thought they were at the 14 pound point...but.....

Macy weighed 12 pounds 13.5 ounces  --- and 24 inches long
Molly weighed 12 pounds 6 ounces --- and 24 inches long

Dr. DuBose is so great...kind...good listener.  He started out by asking if we had any concerns or questions.  Let me set the scene for you.  Charles is sitting to my left...holding Macy, who is doing well...sitting quietly and happily.  I'm holding Molly, who is smiling at Dr. DuBose.

I asked if he would look at Macy's gums to see if she has teeth coming in because it seemed as though she did.  He took the tongue depressor and looked.  OH MERCY, you would have thought she had been attacked by 20 hornets....all stinging her simultaneously.  She shrieked so loudly, I think it took Dr. DuBose by surprise.  "I've never heard a cry like that."  My eyes got HUGE and without my normal 'filtering', I looked at the doctor and said, "You've never heard a cry like that?!?!?!"  I was thinking, oh my goodness, what is wrong with Macy...if she's making a sound that the pediatrician has never heard before.  Charles said, "Angela, I said that, not the doctor."  Ha!  All was well.  So, as Macy continued to scream, I focused on Dr. DuBose and Charles continued trying to sooth her.  He did a masterful job of checking on the girls and listening to my questions despite the background noise.

After his exam, he said they were both "perfect".  I love it when he says that!

When he left the room, I asked Charles to let me take a turn.  I stood over Macy who was laying on the exam table and started singing, "I'm a Little Teapot", and being VERY animated...big big smiles.  She stopped crying and gave one of her trademark, fast and big smiles.  The kind you can fall in!  Charles was standing behind me and cheered in the same exact way he does when one of his Fantasy Football players scores a touchdown!  He was so excited to see her happy! 

Then, came the shots.

A sweet lady came in with too many needles.  She said, "Which one do you think should go first?"  Ha ha.

I asked her if she gave shots to kids all day long.  She does.  Can you imagine?

Surprisingly, the girls do really well recovering quickly from their cries about the shots.  Even so, they get lots of hugs and love from us and I bet the nurses are out there thinking that they wish we'd hurry up and vacate the room for the next patients.  Mommy and Daddy are pretty hurt by the whole experience.  Especially when they're smiling up at you and then they feel the pain of the injection.  Charles said to Molly, (he was holding her), "I love you baby.  I'm sorry.  This is a federal law."

1 comment:

  1. "I love you baby. I'm Sorry. This is a Federal law."

    I LOVE IT!!! It's just about as good as watching my "uber man" shed a tear when Emily got her first set of shots.

    These men are just big ol' saps. :-)

    ReplyDelete